Skip to main content

AQUI SOLITO


(see key below)


 This piece was the first I had painted in over 5 years. I took a break because my job had demanded all of my free time and back then it seemed like it was the most important thing. Working 60 hour weeks and spending my free time with my family left not much room for "hobbies". 


In 2019 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and my whole life changed. I could no longer support the toxic cocktail of overtime and stress and began looking for new ways to fill my time and readjust my priorities, putting my health and family first and my job on the back burner for awhile.


It was in that downtime that the youngest of my 3 children, Marise (Maggie is her nickname), turned it all around for me. It started simple enough, "daddy?, can you teach me how to paint??" to which I replied "it's been so long... and I don't wanna make a mess... it's a lot of mess to clean up...." I hit her with every excuse I could conjure up but her determined eyes would not accept denial. 


After setting up to paint she asked if I could teach her how to paint water, then the ocean and then it took off. I found the joy again, but this time I found something different in the process. I saw what my art did for Maggie and more importantly what it was doing for me, it was healing me!


This painting has several hidden features and below you'll find a key to unlock it all.


You will find several faces in this painting. "Pareidolia" is the study of peoples perception of faces in objects, it's like looking at an electrical outlet and seeing a face or the appearance of laying figure like the "Sleeping Giants" in Fiji. You will also find faces in places that I may not have highlighted because they were purposely left incomplete to challenge your mind and help develop the skill to "read" my artwork! Many others will merely look and see a coral reef or a sea column and an octopus, very few will pick up the secrets on their own, nonetheless, I hope you enjoy!

Top left, The Savvy Traveler made a cameo in this painting. You will find that I have a tendency to use some paintings as a segway into the next project, like a teaser.

My love for graffiti is also showcased in my work, for example:

Top left, in white I have highlighted "SMURKS" as my writing name hidden amongst the rock grooves.

Also Top left, "AQUI SOLITO" the pieces title is hidden in the rock grooves in a lighter color to take your attention away from the other hidden objects 

Bottom left, cameo by myself as I usually paint my self portrait into my work, an homage to the great artists who used themselves as a muse.


Featured in this is the Giant Pacific Octopus, native to the waters off the California coast, this series of oceanic life is also a tribute to the Pacific starring only native sea creatures from the West Coast.

For more info or inquiries about any of the work, drop a note at mguitron80@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ofrienda’s” (Mini Mascaras)

These are my “OFrienda’s”, they are mini handmade masks that I have been making for over 10 years in honor of Dia de los Muertos.  The idea came from Mexican clay masks that I was working on with my daughter, we decided to make and decorate some to resemble cookies in DDLM theme and the workshop took off from there.  The masks are made custom by SMURKS but given from friend to friend as an addition for the Altars (Ofrenda’s) that many people decorate for their passed love ones during the celebration. They are decorated with bright acrylic paint and usually have gems for eyes to match the vibrant decor of the altars which feature photographs of the deceased, marigold flowers, candles and even sweets as an offering to entice the spirits to return.   Make one for yourself as a cool paperweight, stick a magnet on it to decorate your fridge or even connect it on a chain for a cool pendant.  Either way, these are all handmade and hand painted individually. Contact me for ...

Twin Pines Parlor Gallery - Room 1

 The paintings in this room are my chosen favorites or “power” pieces. They represent several key points of my career and are important for the development of future works. Here is an overview of this room.  “Mangrooves” (above mantle) is one of my most popular pieces and despite the space on the canvas, the story behind the painting goes much further. You can find a link   HERE   To the right of the fireplace “Shiny” is one of the first paintings that I did with Maggie (my youngest), having watched ‘Moana’ more times than I ever thought I would, I decided to pay homage because after all my love for the ocean and Hawai’i runs deep. Behind the rock on the right you’ll see Tamatoa, a jewel loving giant crab with his eye on “The Heart of Tefiti”, the shiny green gem on the left. If you’re clever you’ll find my face and the rock peaks resemble my hair first thing in the morning. Hint: the green gem also looks like a booger under my nose. (Keep in mind it was inspired by ...

HEALTHY DOS2

 I am excited to announce that I will be joining the Atelier group for Art Of Healing, a program that started at SIY Gallery in 2025!  “ Healthy Dos2 (Dose)” is a 2 hour Art of Healing Workshop for Teens aged 12-18 focusing on the healing aspects of art and discovery of the artists genuine self. Healthy Dos2 is intended to inspire the young artist to find their voice and develop new skills to learn what is most comfortable and most optimal in navigating their art journey. Healthy Dos2 will encourage artists to respect the environment by repurposing and “upcycling”, as well as incorporate music, guided meditation and breathing, and include group projects to promote positive collaboration.   Starting March 2025 Classes are $40 for 2 hr session, 10 weeks or $50 for 2 hr individual session, 10 weeks Registration information Mario “SMURKS1” Guitron Is a self taught artist with over 25 years of experience in coordinating, curating, collaborating and hosting weekly workshops and...