Skip to main content

SEA LEVELS 415

 

(see key below)

This painting was inspired by my 2 youngest kids, Marcus and Maggie. We went on what they affectionately refer to as a "DADventure" (usually a hike or beach day), this time we went to the Golden Gate Bridge overlook at Vista Point and they asked me seriously if I thought the melting polar ice caps and global warming would ever cause the sea level to rise above to peaks of the Golden Gate Bridge, I thought, let's paint it...?

I spent HOURS studying diver footage of the San Francisco Bay and learning about the mystique around the shifting currents and ice cold waters and watched a NatGeo special where they "DRAINED: ALCATRAZ",  I was intrigued and wanted to explore the topography around the entrance of the GGB (Bridge) so with the help of old videos and LYDAR scans of the Bay, I was able to get this PRETTY-ACCURATE depiction of the bridge with the sea level at near peak. 


This painting was the most frustrating and emotionally draining piece I have ever painted. I spent over 60 hours painting the layer beneath with bold and bright colors, only to flood the painting with murky mud water from the bottom of my paint water cup and it devastated me. All I have are photos and videos of those layers before ruining them, there's no turning back..... and much like the rising sea levels, there's no turning back.

Under the bridge you will find a stone in the shape of a middle finger, just beneath it you will see a play on the Los Angeles Dodgers logo (LA), my love for my SF Giants took over my emotions and I had to document it after they defeated the Giants in the playoffs despite the Giants having their winningest single season in team history with 108 wins. Still kind of bitter.

Another reason for the need to flood the painting was that I forgot the 4th beam on both of the towers of the bridge, they are pictured here with only 3 despite the fact that the original drawing and sketch on the canvas had the 4th beam always included, somehow I ixnayed it from the first round of paint.

In the wreckage of cars you will notice that there are 4 cars and a MUNI bus. The cars depicted in the painting are of 3 of my coworkers and close friends Rob (Black Dodge Ram), Sebastian (Grey Lexus) and Dillin (White Toyota Tacoma) and my own (Silver Scion Xb) and the SF MUNI, a bus I frequented in my teens.

Vista Point side or GG Bridge overlook is made up of faces with my self-portrait at the mouth of the Bay eroded down and not as defined as other selfies of me you'll find in the series.


The skeleton of a Great White Shark can be found on the floor of the Bay, despite opinions that the Great White won't enter the Bay Area waters because it is brackish water, which can cause health complications, however in recent years, footage and tracking has shown that Great Whites will travel into the Bay in search of Seals when water conditions are optimum, risking death for a meal.

You will also find a few isolated skulls at the base of the bridge, those are based off of theories I have about escapees from Alcatraz, prisoners who swam for freedom and met their icy demise.

At the very bottom left corner, you will find "SMURKS" in the mossy green algae covered rocks.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ofrienda’s” (Mini Mascaras)

These are my “OFrienda’s”, they are mini handmade masks that I have been making for over 10 years in honor of Dia de los Muertos.  The idea came from Mexican clay masks that I was working on with my daughter, we decided to make and decorate some to resemble cookies in DDLM theme and the workshop took off from there.  The masks are made custom by SMURKS but given from friend to friend as an addition for the Altars (Ofrenda’s) that many people decorate for their passed love ones during the celebration. They are decorated with bright acrylic paint and usually have gems for eyes to match the vibrant decor of the altars which feature photographs of the deceased, marigold flowers, candles and even sweets as an offering to entice the spirits to return.   Make one for yourself as a cool paperweight, stick a magnet on it to decorate your fridge or even connect it on a chain for a cool pendant.  Either way, these are all handmade and hand painted individually. Contact me for ...

Twin Pines Parlor Gallery - Room 1

 The paintings in this room are my chosen favorites or “power” pieces. They represent several key points of my career and are important for the development of future works. Here is an overview of this room.  “Mangrooves” (above mantle) is one of my most popular pieces and despite the space on the canvas, the story behind the painting goes much further. You can find a link   HERE   To the right of the fireplace “Shiny” is one of the first paintings that I did with Maggie (my youngest), having watched ‘Moana’ more times than I ever thought I would, I decided to pay homage because after all my love for the ocean and Hawai’i runs deep. Behind the rock on the right you’ll see Tamatoa, a jewel loving giant crab with his eye on “The Heart of Tefiti”, the shiny green gem on the left. If you’re clever you’ll find my face and the rock peaks resemble my hair first thing in the morning. Hint: the green gem also looks like a booger under my nose. (Keep in mind it was inspired by ...

DANCEL'S ACADEMY OF TAEKWONDO

    THE THIRD STOP ON "THE SAVVY AVE. SEARCH" DANCEL'S ACADEMY of TAEKWONDO THE SAVVY YOU SEEK HERE IS IN THE WINDOW, IN THE SHADOWS OF THE GREAT SILHOUETTES ON THE WALL, THESE ARE THE FLYING, PIVOTING, CHICKEN-WINGING STUDENTS OF GURU NET DANCEL. ALL AGES AND SKILL LEVELS ARE WELCOME, WHAT'S GREAT IS EVERYONE CAN BENEFIT FROM THE MOTIVATIONAL "MONDAY MINDSET" AND POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT THAT THIS SCHOOL PREACHES, THE DRIVE TO SUCCEED AND BOOST IN SELF ESTEEM IS GUARANTEED, JUST REMEMBER TO NOT DISTURB THE STUDENTS DURING INSTRUCTION AND BOW BEFORE YOU LEAVE!   VISIT THE WEBSITE AND SIGN UP!